Saturday 17 May 2014

BILL'S GONE BAD


On Easter Monday, Beau broke his wrist in a Beau/ stair gate/ Mummy sandwich. About 5 days after the accident, he had the initial plaster cast changed for this orange one, and this has been on ever since. Let me tell you, casts are DISGUSTING after a week or so. It stinks, and looks all grubby where he had been playing and unable to wash it (you're not allowed to get them wet you see). It's not hard to imagine why they stink...it's essentially three weeks worth of sweat and unwashed skin under there, festering under a nice snug cover...i.e. a breeding ground for bacteria. So it has been grossing me out for about the last two weeks and I've been counting down the days till he could get it taken off. And that day came yesterday, HOORAY!! I think Beau was as excited about this as I was, as it has been getting in the way of him playing and he has asked me if I could take it off on more than one occasion (and believe me...I've been tempted to try).

Now if you're a UK resident then you will know that the NHS is just  g r e a t  at making you wait for appointments. For example the night we had to take Beau into a&e when he first broke his wrist, we arrived at about 7:15pm and left at 10:45pm...actual time being seen by doctor/x-rayed/bandaged up was about 15 minutes in total...the rest of the time we were just sat waiting to be seen. Then when we had to go and have the initial cast changed (they put a one sided cast on initially to allow for any swelling to go down)for the full on cast, our appointment wa we finally got seen at 11:50am. I wasn't expecting to have to wait as long that time since it was an actual appointment, not walk in like a&e is. I was expecting maybe a half an hour wait, like at the GP, but not over two hours. I hadn't gone prepared, and needless to say, Beau was pretty stir-crazy after the first hour. 

So for this last appointment to get the cast taken off, I went prepared. I took food and drink for both of us, toys, and downloaded a couple of his favourite films & tv programmes to my tablet. And in true sod's law fashion, Beau wasn't interested in anything I had taken to entertain him, and we were seen after only (only!!) a 50 minute wait. Isn't that just typical...not that I'm complaining about a shorter wait!

One of James' mum's friends Josie is a nurse in the outpatients department and she came out to see us and to sit with Beau and I while the very noisy "tickle machine" cut the cast off. Beau was NOT a fan of this machine, and cried the whole way through. It's a pretty clever machine...it's like a mini circular saw which will cut through the hard plastic cast no problem but will not damage skin at all, even when pressed against it...clever huh. Anyway...about Josie...either I am showing a lot more than I realise I am or she has a weird sixth sense about these things but she sussed straight away that I was pregnant...what is that about?!


Can you see where Beau gets his good looks from?


So after we left the hospital, I thought I would take Beau out for a nice lunch at Bill's to say well done for being such a brave boy. This photo above is Beau thinking he is hilarious for drinking all my ginger & blueberry smoothie...and barely touching his lunch. I didn't find it AS funny :o)


I had the burger with cheese and as much as I hate to say it, I was bitterly disappointed. Bills is renowned for it's great quality, freshly made food, but this burger was about as home made as one you might find at the golden arches. Being pregnant, I had to ask for it to be well done, and it was also undercooked. The final straw was when I bit into a large bit of gristle and at that point I had to send it back. I am totlly not a restaurant complainer, I  l o a t h e  complaining but I couldn't pretend that this was acceptable. When you're paying nearly £12 for a burger in a place with a good reputation, the least you should expect is that it is home made I think. Anyway, I ate my fries and the waitress who was lovely, took the burger off the bill.


For Beau I order the pitta bread, hummus, carrot and cucumber sticks. The hummus and pitta bread were great but the crudites had clearly been cut some time ago and were dry and soft around the edges. How hard is it to freshly cut some veg?? Beau hardly touched it, but I was too embarrassed to complain about this after already sending my burger back. I know that I should have said something, but the waitress who served us was really nice and I just couldn't bring myself to be "that woman" who does nothing but complain. Needless to say, we won't be going back though. Such a disappointment seeing how much I have loved my visits to the Lewes branch. My guess is that it has been taken over by some big firm, hence it starting to become a largish chain, and that firm are much less caring about the quality of food they serve up. I tweeted them about my experience and heard nothing back, so I'm assuming the don't give that much of a crap unfortunately.

Anyhoo, enough about Bill's. I'm 9 week pregnant and have been feeling pretty shattered. I also had a completely unexplained emotional outburst last night which I can only attribute to pregnancy. Basically Beau and I were lying on the sofa and he accidentally whacked me in the head with a remote control. I responded by saying "Jeez Beau, you have to be more careful. That hurt me" and he burst into tears as I guess he felt bad for hurting me. Anyway, two minutes later, I too burst into tears, not because I was in pain, but because Beau getting so upset about hurting me just totally tugged on my heart strings for some reason and made me a total blubbering mess! It was like the flood gates had opened and all these tears and sobs just came flowing out from god knows where...weird. I'm not usually a big crier, so it took me by surprise I must say. James seemed pretty freaked out by it too! Apart from that, I've still had on and off nausea, and my appetite has taken a real nose-dive. I can barely make it through half my usual evening meals now, even if I don't actually feel sick. I remember this was the case when I was pregnant with Beau but I think I might actually have been slightly more nauseous first time round. I'm going out for dinner with the girls tonight and I think I'm just going to have a starter or a side dish, the thought of a big meal is not nice. Long may this stage continue though as I know that a soon as I get my appetite back I'm going to want to eat everything under the sun. I desperately need to avoid gaining as much weight as I did last time, Iwas officially a heffer! I'm taking regular pictures of myself this time so hopefully that will help me keep a check on how big I'm getting and keep it under control...hopefully!!

Until next time, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE