Thursday 13 February 2014

THINGS WHICH MADE ME CRY AND LAUGH RECENTLY


If you follow me on instagram, you'll know that I found myself watching what turns out to be the saddest film in the world ever, My Girl, on Saturday. I was at my Dad's for lunch, Dad and James had taken Beau & Ivy out for a walk and I was too lazy to go so I was flicking through the movie channels and came across it. My Girl was one of my favourite films when I was a little girl, I wanted the streamers on my bike and I loved going to my Nan's as she would allow me to out her make-up on, so I would pile on the blue eyeshadow, a la Veda Sultenfuss. I guess I knew it was sad when Thomas J dies but I was too young to really understand it. It had been so long since I watched it that I kind of forgot about that part of the film. It wasn't until Dad and James got home and James said "is this the film where the little boy dies from bee stings?" that I kind of went "oh yeah...." and thought maybe I was in for a rough ride, emotionally speaking. 

Well, a rough ride doesn't really cut it. Whether it was my hormones (turns out I was pregnant last weekend, not that I knew it for sure at the time, and I'm not anymore), the fact that motherhood has softened me into a big old pool of mush, or just growing up and understanding the full sadness of that film, but the tears were well and truly streaming down my face. If it weren't for the fact that Dad and James were by that point watching it too, I would have been a total blubbering wreck. Great film, totally glad I re-watched it, but my golly, it's just heart breaking. 

Anyway...remember the part in the film where Veda and Thomas J go into her garage and play with her grandmother's phrenology chart?? Well, I have never seen a phrenology chart in my life, in real life...so imagine how weird it would be if I had gone into Homesense on Monday, two days after watching My Girl for the first time in 20ish years and seen one sitting on the shelf amongst all the other random crap they have in there...


Yeah..I know right? Sometimes the universe does these really weird things to me like this. I was kind of dumbfounded when I saw it sitting there...such a strange coincidence.


This is just a cute photo of Beau on our date to Marks & Spencer on Monday. He has this habit of really embarrassing me in public when we go out just the two of us, but I secretly completely love it. Like sometimes he will just sing REALLY loudly and everyone will look at us, which just spurs him on more, or sometimes he will make ME sing and have a hissy if I don't, so that's quite embarrassing. But it always really makes me laugh. I'm the sort of person who shy's away from most kinds of public attention, but having a toddler who  l o v e s  it is teaching me quite a lot about how it doesn't actually matter if you do something which makes people look at you. They're gone 5 seconds later and you probably had a little bit of fun doing whatever it was. So embrace the silliness I say, it feels really good to laugh :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE